MMS Consultants have been very busy over the past few months, including:
- Dustianne North has completed her Ph.D. work in Social welfare at UCLA. Congratulations Dustianne—many hard years of study and research have come to fruition!
- MMS consultants recently provided trainings for employee-to-employee mentoring programs at the U.S. Air Force in Los Angeles, and the Federal Executive Board (FEB) of Greater Los Angeles. This is our third year with the Air Force and our thirteenth year assisting the FEB.
- Judy and Jerry are technical advisors (“coaches”) to YouthBuild USA, National Mentoring Alliance. YouthBuild just celebrated the achievement of making 3,500 matches. Judy and Jerry coach several southern California YouthBuild sites.
- Jerry was recently the lead writer on the development of a comprehensive mentor training manual that is currently being used nationally by approximately 80 YouthBuild USA mentoring programs. Jerry was also the co-author of YB’s mentee training manual.
- Jerry and Judy are consultants to Home Builders Institute’s (HBI) mentoring efforts, and they service initiatives in California and Nevada. HBI Mentoring is an industry-sponsored mentoring program for youth with promise and untapped abilities.
- On January 29, in Redlands, Dustianne and Jerry will provide a training to social workers and mentoring professionals called, “Training Mentors and Volunteers on How to Set Healthy Boundaries with Foster Care Youth.”
- Jerry is currently working with the Cleveland Browns to bring a student athlete mentoring and leadership program to the greater Cleveland area. In this progrram, former NFL players will mentor student athletes while using a group mentoring curriculum developed by Jerry.
- Dustianne, Judy and Jerry are working on several youth mentoring projects funded through a state grant that is administered by the Center for Applied Research Solutions of Folsom, CA.
- In mid-February, Jerry will meet with the Shingle Springs Band of Miwok Indians to assist them in developing a mentoring program. Additionally, Jerry will work with co-trainer Maggie Steele to provide their advisory team with a training on communication skills.
- Jerry and Judy are writing a book on training exercises and warmers. This publication can utilized by individuals as they train mentors and other volunteers. Judy is the inspiration for putting this book together. She has been wowing training participants with her fun and interactive exercises for years, and now it’s time to put them into a publication for all to use!